SOS Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At SOS, we are dedicated to preventing and ending family homelessness in Washtenaw County.
We believe that centuries of racism have created inequities that continue to exist in our institutions, systems of housing, medical care, and education. These inequities perpetuate negative economic, health, and social outcomes for communities of color. SOS is committed to exposing and tearing down these inequities.
SOS is committed to promoting a safe, diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all differences and identities are respected, valued, and included, and where representation is encouraged and celebrated.
Through the work of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee, we aim to achieve the following:
- Protect SOS community members from discrimination, oppression, and denial of their humanity and right to exist.
- Create an environment in which all members of our SOS community are able to nurture self and group identities, including but not limited to; race, gender, ethnicity, ability, socio-economic status, nationality and immigration status, age, religion, family status, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Foster a culture, through policy and practice, that reflects, contributes to, and celebrates the diverse communities we serve within the values of SOS.
- Advance institutional diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion in our community and in every action, branch, system, and policy of the organization.
- Strive to become a community leader in this space by committing to continually challenging ourselves to educate and advocate.