"There is a dynamic group of interns at SOS that come from different schools. It’s interesting because we all bring something different. However, we all have the same goal—to make a difference!"
Tiffany Smith, Intern from Washtenaw Community College
Make a difference today!
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Please review the options below, and if you are interested or need more information contact (734) 484-9945, email , or complete this form.
Program Area: Housing Services
- Resource Specialist: Help families access emergency food Mondays through Fridays from 9am to 4pm. Volunteers do one-on-one counseling with walk-in community members in need of emergency food, personal care items, or referrals to other resources. Resource specialists work directly with our clients to address needs in addition to food. Our needs for this position have recently increased, so contact us today if you are interested. Please note the position requires a specialized training.
- Pantry Appointment Scheduler: Answer phones and work with consumers one-on-one to schedule them a time to shop in the SOS Choice Pantry. Our needs for this position are on Tuesdays from 9am to 11am and on Thursdays from 1pm to 3pm.
- Truck Unloading: Help unload our food truck and fill the pantry. This is a great group or individual opportunity. Bring your muscles and your enthusiasm as we stock the shelves that will feed our neighbors in need on Mondays from 1pm to 5pm. Food organization is also needed during the week Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9am to 4pm. Also, every first Tuesday of the month we are looking for groups of volunteers to come at 9am to unload a food truck and fill the pantry.
- Intake Specialist: Help to gather consumer information, updating files/paperwork, and directing consumers to the pantry or a resource specialist. Our needs for this position are on Tuesdays from 1pm to 6:30pm and Wednesdays from 9am to 1pm.
- Pantry Assistant: Help consumers shop in the pantry. You will help them with their choices and with gathering their bags as they move through the pantry. Our needs for this position are on Tuesdays from 1pm to 6:30pm and Wednesdays from 9am to 1pm.
- Pantry Stocker: Help to keep the pantry shelves stocked. Throughout the distribution time, this volunteer will ensure that food is well stocked. Our needs for this position are on Tuesdays from 1pm to 6:30pm and Wednesdays from 9am to 1pm.
- Pantry Runner: Help to get bags from the SOS building to the consumer’s vehicle. This volunteer will also be responsible for helping to break down boxes and get them to the road for recycling. Our needs for this position are on Tuesdays from 1pm to 6:30pm and Wednesdays from 9am to 1pm.
- Receptionist: Help answer phones and greet visitors.